Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hello Mr. Salcito

Cesky Krumlov
A 38 year old lawyer named David needs help learning English in Prague. He wants to be able to communicate with his colleagues and clients with fluency and confidence. David wants a native speaker that will assist him. I am the one that will teach him the ways of the world. Or at least English for that matter. Wait, what did I just say? I am teaching English to other people, for money. (very little, but thats not the point) Shocked. Absolutely astounded. Speechless. Just two months ago, my life was lackluster and repetitive. I was waiting tables for cranky old people and doing the same exertions day in and day out. This is not in anyway about the friends and family back home, but about the routine. And now, somebody is trusting me to teach them English. As well as Mr. Freiberg, a high school and six unfortunate souls at an ad agency! Ever think you are not qualified to do something? Hah...

My first day at the high school (it's a Jewish school and they actually have all grades but i teach a class of 12-13 year olds and a class of 18-19 year olds and i like to say its a high school for some reason) was one of those times in your life where you question why the fuck you made the decision to do something in the first place. I was introduced to the head English teacher, a very nice lady that was engrossed in preparing her next lesson, who asked me a few questions before the 8:30 bell rang. "Have you ever taught kids before?" "No." "Haha" (she smiled one of those pity smiles) Ominous. "Your first class is easy, the older kids are very nice. Your second class...are 12-13 year olds, mostly girls and they will giggle a lot." "Oh great." I might have even said that. I don't really remember because my mind was preoccupied with restraining myself from turning around and running out the door. Then the bell rang, and my teaching career began. Ten teenagers stared at me wondering how did this guy got into the building. Awkward. I wrote my name down on the board and introduced myself and we all started to get to know each other. Well, they started to get to know me. They have known each other for a long time. Then the bell rang, and I let out a prodigious sigh. My first high school class was over. Yay. Only an infinite amount more to go. On my way out, a student said to me, "Bye Mr. Salcito!" It's hard to explain how that feels until it happens to you. It was strange to say the least. So strange that I told them to just call me Matt. I wasn't sure if I could handle being a complete teacher just yet. Also have to keep cool you know. 

I'm about three weeks into teaching and I'm finding out that it gets easier and less stressful the more times I do it. It's actually quite challenging and rewarding. (Taught what those words meant to my 'older older' students the other day, hah) I think this could be fun. 

I live in Prague now. Seeing myself writing that has a profound impact because it makes it real. I live in Prague. I have an awesome apartment in the heart of downtown. I work at various places in the city, and I am slowly embedding myself into this culture. We have found a couple restaurants we like to go to, cafe's to read in, parks to relax at, clubs and bars to get drunk at, etc. I might actually become Czech. That actually can't happen, legal shit. Plus, its only been two months since we've left Florida. Only two months. Thats a short and long time, at the same time. 

I miss everybody back home. 


2 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I'm so excited for you and proud of you, couldn't be happier that things are working out so well for you guys! You're a real teacher.... congrats sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...Mr Salcito. You should have them call you Mr. Matt...but man, i cant believe youve only been there for 2 months, that's nuts, i guess to me it feels like youve been gone for more than a year because i've been gone for more than a year.....lame

    ReplyDelete